In no way do I believe that women are incapable of doing anything that men can do. However I know as a single woman living alone that there are a few things that I just wish someone was around to do for me once in awhile. Here’s my list.
- Getting gas–how often we get gas varies on whether we even have a car to how much traffic we got stuck in on our daily commute, but I know that its one activity that I never look forward to. For some reason I am always approached by a creep trying to hit on me or someone or offering to wash my windows. And I don’t even want to think about how much bacteria is on a gas pump.
- Taking out the trash–I don’t know how this particular chore became popularized as “a man’s job” but whoever’s responsible, I should write them a thank you note. Too bad I don’t have a man of my own for trash disposal. Honestly taking out the trash isn’t that bad but it’s mainly the principle that so many other girls out there have men doing it for them happily.
- Car maintenance–while we’re on the subject of cars, I am trying to remember the last time I got a guy that wasn’t related to me in some way to wash my car for me. Its somewhere between never and in my wildest dreams.
- Fixing/Assembling things–like any other American woman who shops at Ikea I am completely baffled by the directions half the time. And usually I didn’t have the good sense to purchase the companion piece that I wasn’t even aware I needed. I feel like some guys just have the mind to decode those diagrams better than I can.
- Going to the movies to see a romantic comedy–now this isn’t something that I wish a guy would do for me, but I do wish he’d do it with me!
- Broaching awkward topics–why oh why do we as women end up having to bring up the hard conversations every last time? It would be nice if I didn’t have to say, “Honey, you think after five years of dating we can go ahead and make this thing exclusive?”
- Basically all cheesy girl stuff–I love going to the farmer’s market or random fairs and festivals and while it’s always nice to do those things alone or with friends there is a secret look that two women share when one of them is towing around a male prisoner at these female overpopulated events. It’s a look of smug surety and for once I’d like to be dishing it out.
- To the gym–actually I wish anyone, guy or girl, could go to the gym for me but those calories aren’t going to burn themselves!
- Gardening–in my hypothetical world with my hypothetical boyfriend we have a beautiful home with a sprawling emerald green lawn rimmed in tulips and rose bushes and of course a Gothic wrought iron fence. And in this world he’d be whistling while he worked that lawn to checkerboard perfection.
- Rubbing my feet–honestly, I am slightly uncomfortable with anyone rubbing my feet, but when my dogs are barking after a long day at work I’d be less uncomfortable with a guy rubbing my swollen toes than the woman at the salon that I have to pay to do it.
- Breakfast in bed–this one is the ultimate wish of any eating woman out there. Why you wouldn’t want breakfast in bed is beyond me. Maybe your man can’t cook but guaran-damn-tee you he can order a breakfast spread better than Christian Grey at the Heathman.